Why would I learn to read Tarot?

What’s the first thing you think of when you hear the word “Tarot”?

A smokey, low-lit room with a man or woman wearing a turban?

Fortune telling?

Scam?

Unfortunately, Tarot readers tend to get a bad rap because of the way we’re depicted in Hollywood, and Tarot’s ability to help transform someone’s life is not often focused on. That’s why I felt it would be a good idea to take a moment to talk about the benefits of Tarot and how it can help change your life when you learn to read.

What is Tarot?

There’s a misconception that Tarot is a tool used to predict the future and tell people when/where things are going to happen to them. Personally, I don’t teach Tarot as a fortune telling tool. I believe that, as a human being, you have freewill; therefore, your future is not set in stone. You always have the ability to make a different decision and change an outcome.

For me, the Tarot is a reflection of energy. Each card holds a specific energy that can be used as a springboard to offer new ideas, ways of thinking, possible actions to take, etc. The imagery and symbols in each card evoke something within you that allows your subconscious mind to bypass the ego and shed light on your question.

The Subconscious and the Conscious Mind

Did you know that your conscious mind only accounts for about 12% of your brain? The other 88% is governed by the subconscious. The ego is a part of your conscious mind – it’s busy being logical, weighing different options, making decisions and thinking non-stop throughout the day. On the other hand, the subconscious governs your habits, beliefs, dreams and various bodily functions like your heart beat. It’s basically the equivalent of autopilot for humans.

This can be great because you won’t have to consciously think about pumping blood through your heart, but it can also be a hindrance. Have you ever tried to make a change in your life, but for some reason you keep coming up against obstacles or you just end up right back where you were? That’s the subconscious! It’s possible that there’s a belief hidden deep within the subconscious that’s holding you back. This is where Tarot has the chance to help you out.

Tarot and the Subconscious Mind

Ultimately, I believe Tarot gives you the opportunity to make the subconscious conscious. The conscious brain speaks in thoughts and words, but the subconscious speaks with symbols. That’s why dreams are typically never straightforward; they’re very symbolic.

A Tarot card is filled with imagery and symbols that the subconscious is able to relate with. From there, the subconscious sends up a message to the conscious mind that relates to the question at hand. This message can help shed light on what’s going on beneath the surface that you’re not aware of. It can help you uncover limiting beliefs that have been hindering your growth and provide new ways of thinking.

Once you’ve seen what’s going on within the subconscious mind, you’re able to shift out of autopilot and create new ways of being that are much more expansive. You’re more conscious about the actions you take and the decisions you make, which helps you to grow as an individual.

If you’d like to learn to confidently read Tarot and see for yourself how it beneficial it can be, I’m teaching a class at The Peaceful Peacock entitled Intrepid Intution: A Beginner’s Guide to Tarot. The class meets every Tuesday from 7-9PM, April 2-May 21. You can register by clicking the button below.